Fattoush is a Lebanese version of a chopped garden salad that includes pita chips and is seasoned with dried mint and Sumac (which is reddish powdered spice that has a sour, lemony flavor) and all the ingredients are tossed with a lemon juice and olive oil dressing.
I make this frequently when entertaining and it’s such a delicious salad! I love how it includes the Armenian version of croutons by baking pita bread in the oven until crispy!
- 2 large Romaine lettuce
- 2 large pita bread (4 sides)
- 2 tbsp dried mint
- 2 tbsp dried sumac
- 2 green peppers
- 2 tomatoes or pints of grape tomatoes
- 2 cucumber
- 8 scallions
- 1/2 bunch curly parsley
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- Wash lettuce and cut into pieces and place in large mixing bowl.
- Chop green peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions and parsley and add to lettuce.
- Sprinkle dried mint and sumac onto salad and mix well.
- Separate pita bread and cut into squares and place flat on a cookie sheet and bake in oven at 400 until lightly browned and crispy. Set pita bread aside.
- Make dressing by constantly mixing lemon juice into oil and then add salt and garlic.
- Add dressing and pita bread to salad right before serving.