Being from Boston, we love our clam “chowda” but that’s typically made with cream. In this version I’ve substituted the cream for unsweetened almond milk and it tastes delicious! Perfect for those cold snowy days!
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 medium brown potatoes, peeled, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 1½ cups clam juice
- 3 tbsp unsalted Kerrygold butter
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups chopped clams
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add turkey bacon and onions; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and clam juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Gently boil for 15 minutes.
- Heat unsalted butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of hot liquid from medium saucepan; whisk until well blended. Add this thickened mixture back to large saucepan. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Add almond milk and clams; cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until thickened. Makes 8 servings.
***21 Day Fix Containers (per 1 cup serving): 1/2 Red, 1/2 Green, 1/2 yellow and 1 tsp oil ***